I haven't been neglecting the blog. In fact, I have often longed to tickle the ebonies (my computer keys are black) and tell you about the new adventures of the Fitz Family - but, to be honest, I am tired. It has been busy since we got back to Rome. I have been hired, been almost fired (or so I feared), had three sick kids, visited the ER once, spent the week as a single woman while Chris was in Albania, figured out how to communicate nuns at the day care Maddie and Jameson attend (that's right, no English), and learned how to teach again. I have little time to indulge in my few indulgences.
All right, I am now employed. I found out that there was an opening for an English teacher at Katie's school and put my name in the hat. I am now teaching one section of Advanced 8th grade English (WONDERFUL!) and two sections of Standard 9th grade English. I am currently working my way through To Kill a Mockingbird with the 8th graders and Animal Farm with the 9th graders and recreating many of the teaching materials that I left in the States. It has been a while since I have done this, and a week to prepare was not really enough. I have also already missed 5 days of work because of sick kids. I thought they might be regretting hiring me, but I still go in everyday and no one has told me to leave. I hope that the sickness is behind us.
On one of those days when Jameson was home sick he fell and cut his head open. It necessitated a trip to the Pronto Soccorso (ER) where his head was glued and steri-stripped back together. The cut is about 1.5 inches long, but he was a brave little guy. I am proud to say that I held it together and did not get lost in the language gap when we were there. Va bene!
Maddie and Jameson are now in day care. It is a beautiful little place next door to the school where Katie and I are and it is run by nuns. I know of only one employee that speaks English (Maddie's teacher) and Jameson will now sometimes say "Ciao!" to you if you say "Hi!" to him. Maddie has also decided that she will not make friends until high school because the people at her school don't speak like her. Blaaaaaaaaaaah! Katie is loving second grade. She has already read several chapter books since starting the year and thinks her teacher is great.
On a lighter note....I went to the dermatologist a couple of weeks ago to have some moles removed. The morning before I left the house, Maddie asked where I was going. I told her I was going to have some of my moles removed. Her response..."Good, I don't like those moles, but I love your moustache."
Buona serata!
Monday, September 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a great post! I hope the teaching continues to go well, Jameson heals, and Maddie blurts out more hilarious comments!
ReplyDelete