Saturday, October 31, 2009

BOO!







Let me first wish you all a very Happy Halloween! We have been celebrating here in Rome - it seems to be one American holiday that other countries like to participate in (unlike Thanksgiving, for instance...). Katie had a party and parade at school, we had a Trunk or Treat party at Chris' office, and the school held a "Fall Festival" party today. I am Halloweened out! The kids had a good time, though. Chris and I realized that all the kids held true to their own personalities with their costumes this year. Katie was a cowgirl, Maddie was a ladybug - with sparkly dots, and Jameson was a golfer, complete with a tam and plus-fours. Really cute. I dressed up as a teacher and Chris was the disgruntled dad handing out candy to rude kids. We all played our parts well. :)



The weather has been very nice here lately. It was in the 70s today and has been like that often. I am sure it will change soon, but we are enjoying it now. The kids and I went down near the Trevi Fountain almost 2 weeks ago and it was so beautiful that I could not imagine a nicer day anywhere. The skies were cloudless, the sun was bright and the temperature was mild. It really was Bella Roma. It is tough to be in a bad mood when the weather is so cooperative



I have finished my first quarter at school. I had to fail several students, and I am sure that it was more painful for me than it will be for all but one of the students. Frustrating. The 9th graders have started Macbeth and I honestly think that they like it. They don't really understand it until we read in class, but they are totally getting into it and appreciating even the humor. I am excited for the time when they are ready to act some of the scenes out. Should be fun. The eighth graders are reading the last 4 chapters of To Kill a Mockingbird this weekend. They have really grasped Harper Lee's message and I think they have been quite moved by the story. They will have an essay test in a week and will be starting independent outside reading (non-fiction - YUCK they cry) and Romeo and Juliet in class. I keep that bunch busy. :)



Well, I wish I had some funny tales to tell this time, but I am pretty tired. I hope you enjoy the pictures. It was nice to find some fall leaves for the kids to play in. We miss that.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Halloween photos! The kids couldn't be any cuter. We just finished a glorious week with daughters, sons-in-law, and four beautiful grandchildren here. Wow! Were we busy. We topped it all off with a wedding (our neice) Saturday and a double baptism Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marsha,
    What adorable costumes! I love how diverse their choices were!! Glad to hear that teaching is going well. Are you glad that you decided to accept the position? I'm sure that it is exhausting! Hugs to the kids!
    Love, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey marsha! glad to find your blog, and to see your sweet kids! boy, jameson is sure getting big!!!! i love the "look" of your blog too!!!! take care, and be well! (and hi to chris too!)
    *elizabeth*

    ReplyDelete