Thursday, February 12, 2009

Okay, so today I DO love some things...

Well, it may not be a complete reinfatuation with Rome...yet, but I did find again some reasons to totally embrace our foreign home.
1) Today the landlady for our building, her sister, the owner of the apartment above our's, the housing office representative, and a worker from upstairs came to "inspect" the damage to our unit. Well, long story short, the land lady and her sister were aghast at what was going on. So, too, was our portiere, Bruno (who has a special "Buongiorno!" relationship with Maddie). They were also upset that the construction was happening during quiet hours, 1-3 p.m., and that they were starting every morning before or around 7:30. It was so nice to have these lovely lovely women come in and coo over the children, call me signora and obviously commisserate with the mess, and then coo over the children some more. The warmth of the Italian people hit me again this morning. It was nice. Because it was one of those times when I could really equate the lovely terra cottas, mustards, oranges and browns that they use in the colors of their buildings with the goodness and warmth of their hearts.
2) It is so nice that we are able to give Katie horse riding lessons here. What can be prohibitively expensive in the U.S. is much more affordable here. Katie was tossed off her horse while riding a few weeks ago. Scared though she was, she got up, went to the restroom to wash the dirt out of her mouth, and then got back on the same pony. I was so proud...and scared, truth be told. And I'm still scared. Hate every second watching her ride now. Except when she is sitting so proud and confident on the pony. Except when she so tenderly and lovingly pats, hugs and leads her mount. Except when she gets in the car after lessons and tells me that she does not want to wash her hands because she doesn't want to lose the smell of the horses. She is fearless when it comes to animals. Her love for horses, especially, is eternal.
3) Again, I am so happy that we are able to give the kids the chances that they have had and will have to see parts of Europe many never see. We are taking the kids to Florence next week as there is no school because of winter break. Chris and I have talked about what we'll see and do and all Maddie will say she is going to do is "Rub the pig's nose." (Google it) I love that we can share this with the kids.
4) Great wine. Chris and I had a delicious bottle of red with our salad and foccacia dinner tonight. Sometimes I miss my favorite American cabernet, but Italian wine is nearly impossible to beat.

Enough musings for now. Buona notte.

No comments:

Post a Comment