I am sure that somewhere, deep within the reaches of her mind, my mom has always hoped that either myself or my sister, Shelly, would take up sewing and/or quilting. My childhood is peppered with memories of her working on clothing for us kids, quilts for family (I distinctly remember a red cat quilt that she made for her sister that took at least 3 years), or these little old woman heads that she sold at local craft shops in Wichita. She, undoubtedly is very skilled in this type of art. She even made her own wedding dress and is currently making beautiful primitive hooked rugs. Therefore, I have decided to carry on her legacy. No laughing please.
In those deep reaches where I am sure my mom wants one of us to start quilting, I am sure she was also hoping that it wouldn't be me who would want to take it up. I am notorious for starting things of this nature and not finishing them. My mom finally finished a stuffed Christmas tree decoration that I started in Mrs. Frazey's third grade class, as I showed no potential for getting it done on my own. We still talk about this failed endeavor on occasion. Actually, to be more exact, she reminds me of it whenever I entertain the idea of sewing again. And rightfully so.
Lately, however, I have decided that I want to take a stab at quilting. My mom's quilts, especially the spectacular quilt she made for me when I was in school, have always impressed me. I also have a friend who quilts who recently told me, when I inquired if she sold her quilts, that she keeps them for her family's collection. It got me thinking; I would like to make something like that for MY family to collect. So I am going to start - or at least try - to do this.
I am attaching a picture of some of the fabrics I am going to use. Let's hope I don't butcher this. I will keep you all updated as to my progress, or lack thereof...
Lovely choices for fabric! Good luck with your new endeavor. Alison and Jessica have created beautiful quilts. They take my breath away.
ReplyDeleteNancy
I can't wait to see your progress Marsha!! What a fun quilt those fabrics will make. Good Luck! (Are you sure you don't want to be a hooker though??) :-)
ReplyDelete-Kim