All right, we're back in Bella Roma. The kids and I had a nice visit to the States (specifically Olathe, KS), but it is good to be home. I appreciated the courteous drivers of Kansas. I loved the ease of shopping at any one of greater Kansas City's 1,478,632 strip malls - or Oak Park Mall for those of you familiar with the area. I enjoyed eating out at something other than an Italian restaurant. And I loved that the kids got to reconnect with, and in Jameson's case, meet, their family. The kids loved playing with Brent and Dawn's kids, Josie and Blake, and meeting Shelly's new baby, Colt, who was born while we were there. They LOVED the dog and cats at my parent's house. And, let's be honest, nothing beats all the ice cream that one can eat at Grandma and Grandpa's house. Maddie was already telling my mom she missed her before we even got on the plane to come back. It was a good trip. It was tiring, mostly for me. I don't recommend travelling across the Atlantic with 3 kids alone on a regular basis. The worst part was standing in the passport control line at Dulles Airport in D.C. for an hour at what was around 11 p.m. Italian time. But it was still a great vacation.
I have to say that I was a little disenchanted by one thing when we got home...the holes in the kitchen wall (see Chris' blog "Crack Spackle"). I had just gotten used to the lack of holes in the ceiling before we left for the States, only to come home to holes in the wall. I guess I should be thankful that the leak was not our fault. I would hate for the people below us to think it was us, which they already were doing. I am also disappointed that I missed the crack...well, maybe not.
Katie has found a new interest - golf. She took part in golf summer camp with the Johnson County Parks and Rec while we were there and liked it enough that she wants to continue here. It is a sport that we are really encouraging her in. I know she loves horses, but clubs are cheaper than feeding and taking care of a horse, and a little safer. She is anxious to start school, has lost her 8th tooth, and is riding her bike without training wheels now. She was very reluctant to do so until this week. Not afraid to get on a giant horse, but scared of a bike without training wheels. :)
Maddie is also looking forward to school. She will be going for 2 half days a week this fall. We will probably have her go more often in the spring, but I think this is good for now. She got some ridiculous pink boots while we were back in the States and it will probably take an act of Congress to keep her from wearing them to school - where they would not fit the dress code.
Jameson gets bigger and sweeter daily. He is almost 18 months old and still reluctant to talk. He will make animal sounds, he would say "Pampaw" for my dad, he says "thank you,"and he will surprise me now and again with words, but he is still slow to talk. I figure he doesn't see the need since the girls always talk for him and he has no problems getting what he wants or needs. He really is a lovely little boy.
I will be starting my language lessons again soon. I am looking forward to it, especially since I stumbled through my trip to the grocery store today. Amazing how quickly it will leave you. We are also anticipating visits from family and friends this fall.
As nice as the summer was, and as great a time as the kids had, we were all glad to be back here at our temporary home. We may not be Italians, and this place will always be somewhat foreign to us, but it is our home. Because it is where we are together. We were missing a big part of our family this summer, with Chris staying in Europe. And we all felt it. While our normal is now in a different language, it is still our normal. Family is the most important.
Buon ferragosto!
No comments:
Post a Comment