So, I had promised myself that I was going to make my next post about something I like about Rome; unfortunately the construction crew upstairs has conspired against me.
For several months now, probably close to 5, a construction crew has been doing a COMPLETE remodel of the apartment above us. Several months ago, I came home to be greeted in the parking lot by a gentleman who spoke no English asking which apartment I lived in and trying, obviously, to convey something important to me. I could not understand any more than the basics, but when I walked into my family room, I quickly saw the problem. A hole in the ceiling. Well, since then we have had many holes made in the ceiling. I guess I should say, in order to be more precise, the plaster and some of the cement has fallen in. The housing coordinator has sent someone out once to fix the problem, but more holes have occurred since then. We currently have 7 active fissures in our ceiling. I have been patient, but now I'm mad.
Today the banging got so loud - and the banging is loud; so loud it makes Jameson cry and Maddie walk around with her hands over her ears - that I became concerned. I walked into our bedroom, only to be assaulted with falling plaster. I yelled, hoping to stop them upstairs, but they only paused. This was quickly followed by another new set of cracks in the bedroom and then the BIG KAHUNA. The kitchen. I noticed the banging was loud in the kitchen, went in, and watched the eruption in process. At present the hole is at least 3 feet long and a foot wide and concrete and pieces of ceramic blocks have fallen, too. And they're still banging. It is not safe to have kids running around in this.
Everytime I go into the city center, I drive through the ancient walls that used to surround Bella Roma, and still stand today. I want my ceilings made out whatever those walls are made of.
Oh, and then to top it all off, while modeling a new purse for Maddie, I asked her if I looked like a super-model. She giggled and said, "No, you look like a super-dragon." Ain't youth grand!
Oh, and then to top it off again...Katie came home from school with pictures she had drawn of the whole family. There was something next to the drawing of me and I asked her if it was Jameson. She said no and told me that since I don't have a job she drew a picture of me taking care of birds. From the mouths of babes....
Hang in there, Super Dragon Woman Bird-Keeper!
ReplyDeleteMom