Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Holy City, Part 1

I have just returned from probably one of the most surreal work trips I ever could have imagined. As a young boy growing up you dream of going to places, mostly in Europe, as that is where most of America’s culture was derived. I never thought that I would have an opportunity to travel to a place like Jerusalem.
The first time I went I only spent about 2 hours on the outskirts of the city. I had some meetings to attend and didn’t have any time to get into the Old City. That was okay with me, due to the fact that as I was exiting the building, I could hear some light arms fire from over one of the hills. Probably just a few “celebratory” rounds in the air, but none the less, unnerving.
This trip I was able to spend a greater portion of my time in the Old City. I’ve travelled to the Middle East three times and each time you arrive with some concern for you safety. While the chances are good you will come out safe and sound, your mind never truly allows you to relax. Most hotels you check into require you to go through a security check point, even if you are staying at the hotel.

I was able to have a tour inside the walls of the city and was very excited for the opportunity. We walked through the pedestrian streets where sometimes no more than two people across could fit. Markets and stalls on either side sold items of tourist interest, others sold spices and clothes. Most are the hokey junk that us Westerners eat up like “Holy City Spoons”, gold crucifix necklesses that would turn your neck green, etc. They even have “ancient” pottery. . . not truly ancient, just new pottery that has been rolled in sand and dust.

Signs in Arabic, Hebrew and English are everywhere. Market owners usually speak all three, but I heard one owner speaking Japanese to some tourists.

Our tour started at the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, the probable location for Christ’s Crucifixion and Entombment. The Church was controlled for the majority of history by Muslims to ensure that Greek Orthodox and Catholics, along with Armenian Christians, didn’t get into ownership disputes inside the building. Inside the building, which at one point was outside, there are specific locations that are “owned” by each religion.

I’ve been to a ton of religious buildings during my life and most, if not all, have a very solemn feel. No one is talking loudly, everyone is showing proper respect for the place. Sadly, however, this place, the most Holy for most believers, was not at all quiet. There was commotion, people talking, crying, moving around and jostling for a spot on line. It was difficult to find a quiet place to grasp what is believed to have happened there. I think it is because it is a true “melting-pot” of religious and cultural ideals or they just forget themselves overcome by the place.
Calvary

I was able to touch the hole where Christ’s cross was believed to be anchored and the location where his body was prepared for entombment.
Calvary
Stone of Unction
I was unable to go into the tomb, but plan on visiting that on my next trip.

Tomb of Jesus

My tour guide told me that a large number of tourists don’t want to go into the Church as they are so put off by the less than reverent behavior by the visitors. I found that as with everything in life, it is what you make of it. The visitors can be loud, annoying and even obnoxious, but maybe that is what the Big Guy wanted. . . a place where you are tested to find His peace. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment