Tuesday, April 21, 2009

How I Know She's Mine


So, do you ever have those days when you look at your children and wonder from where they came? Like when you think that there is no way that you would have a child that would knowingly play in the toilet; or there is no way that someone who is of your own flesh would think that dipping bananas in ketchup is EVER a good idea; or you marvel that they can sing when you can't carry a tune in a bucket?

Well, Maddie is my child that I look at and think, "She's the one that is most different from me." I think, however, that is because I look at her and see, physically, more of Chris. She has his coloring, his eyes, and looks a lot like him and his mom. However, Maddie, at times, is the spitting image of me as a kid. For instance, her new night time routine. We recently moved a bookcase in her room and most mornings I find at least 10 books in her bed. I hear her "reading" these books to her animals as she falls asleep. I can remember staying up until all hours with a flashlight just to read more. My parents finally relented and bought me a reading light. I still have to read - even if it is only a paragraph - before I sleep every night. Old habits die hard...and are born again in the young.

Sweet Dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment