Married life is funny. Unlike most things today, you can’t get the answers from the Internet or “Internets” if you prefer. There are “Marriage 101” sites that go into the “Right and Wrong Reasons to Get Married”, “Expectations in Marriage” and my favorite section “Myths of Marriage”. I can’t say that I believed any of the listed “myths” prior to our marriage, “marriage will end your loneliness, conflict means lack of love, you won’t have major problems if you truly love one another” etc. One of my friends took the dip into married life and I explained that things are different when you get married. He didn’t believe me, but now, as we plan a golf outing to Ireland, he is realizing that it is different. You don’t just say “I’m going on a golf trip.” You have to be political about it, diplomatic even. And that is what marriage is; Diplomacy at its finest. You have to juggle what is important to you, as an individual; a couple and, in our case, a family. The side show act of tossing objects into the air and keeping them aloft all while playing to the crowd is very similar to marriage. I think my wife and I are on the same page when I say that we have become Diplomat Jugglers. We’re just glad our side show includes a “strong-man”, a “daredevil” and a “horse-girl”. . . 


Saturday, March 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment