There are a lot of things that you know you will miss when you move abroad. I knew that I would miss my friends and family, our home, our pets, certain restaurants and shops, etc. I did not, however, realize that I would miss something, or someone, rather, that I had, regrettably and apologetically, never properly appreciated before. I miss the men and women who bag groceries. I had no idea how wonderful a service this was until I found myself checking out in a foreign language, in a foreign country, while trying to keep an eye on 3 young children and bag 150 euro in groceries. It is a very pressure packed situation. And one that I must say at which I am not very good. Nothing like waiting for the slow-poke in front of you to get his pasta, wine and vegetables in his bags so that you can start bagging you own...all the while holding off the pushy lady behind you with her cat food, proscuitto, and, yes, wine. :)
Oh, and I actually bought some of the horse baby food today. Just to prove that it does exist.
All right, on a different note, E.T. is in my bedroom. As we wait for the "gentlemen" renovating the apartment above us to finish the demolition so that they can come and repair the patches in our ceiling we have come to recognize and, in this case, name the holes that currently exist. This one is E.T. Looks like his head and torso, no?
The funny thing about this is that Maddie is terrified of E.T. She saw part of the movie once, which Katie loves. She was pretty upset with the image of E.T. scuttling around the house at the beginning of the film. Then Katie, in typical older sister fashion, told Maddie one night as they were going to sleep that E.T. was in their bedroom. Well, it has been a few months since that happened and I still have to reassure her that E.T. is pretend, is not in her room, and is not coming out of the television - like when we were walking in front of the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence and she turned to me and said, "E.T. is pretend, right Momma?" Yep, that's right.
I was wondering how your ceilings were doing while trying to go to sleep staring at mine recently. Let us all know when they are patched so we can celebrate for you in the US. Contractors here are fodder for plenty of nightmare stories, I can't imagine over there. At least their language sounds good when they blow you off.
ReplyDelete